Call for Applications: 3M National Teaching Fellowship Program Coordinator
November 20, 2020
11:59 pm ET
The Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE) is seeking applications from qualified individuals interested in the volunteer position of Program Coordinator, 3M National Teaching Fellowships. Co-sponsored by STLHE and 3M Canada, the Fellowships recognize faculty members at Canadian post-secondary institutions for their exceptional contributions to educational leadership and teaching.
The Program Coordinator both manages the Fellowship throughout the year, recognizing that some responsibilities may become more intense prior to deadlines and upcoming events. The Coordinator is responsible for the call for nominations, coordination of the selection process, coordinating with local STLHE Conference Committee events associated with the Fellowship, and oversight of the Summit.
The Coordinator consults with, and reports to, the STLHE Awards Chair, who has oversight of all STLHE award programs, and works closely with the STLHE Executive Director and Administrative Centre on all aspects of running the program.
- In coordination with the STLHE Executive Director the coordinator reports to and prepares an annual report for the Awards Chair of the STLHE Board of Directors and works closely with both the Awards and Partnerships Chairs to build and maintain a strong relationship with Program’s sponsors—3M Canada and Maclean’s;
- Works closely throughout the year with the STLHE Executive Director on all aspects of the 3MNTF Program including the Summit agenda, the Summit banquet and a meeting with Chair of the 3M Council Executive, president of STLHE and sponsors at the Summit;
- Is a spokesperson for promoting the 3MNTF and the mission and values of STLHE and the Council of 3M National Teaching Fellows; and
- Participates in monthly meetings of the executive of the Council of 3M National Fellows for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and seeks their advice on special projects.
Selection of New Fellows
- Chairs the Adjudication Committee for the Fellowship and nominates committee members to the STLHE Board of Directors for approval; oversee the distribution of nomination files, guidelines and tools to assist with the selection, and plans the agenda for the selection meeting;
- In conjunction with the Adjudication Committee and STLHE Administrative Centre, prepares feedback for unsuccessful nominees, writes press releases, notifies and regularly corresponds with successful nominees, and makes any suggestions for revisions to the call for nominations for the following year.
- With the assistance of the STLHE Executive Director, prepares and distributes materials for the Call for Nomination of 3M National Teaching Fellows including: advertisements and web-related information and insures appropriate media coverage for the new cohort of 3M Fellows by preparing press releases and related materials including conference banquet brochure.
STLHE National Conference and 3M Fellows Summit
- Attends the STLHE Annual Conference and works closely with the program committee and STLHE Awards Chair on program related events including the “The Journey Begins Meet and Greet” session and the “Meet the new 3M National Teaching Fellows” session.
- Attends and plans the 3MNTF Summit and participates in selecting suitable facilitators for the Summit. The Coordinator has the first right of refusal to be a facilitator at the Summit. The role of Facilitator is separate from the role of Coordinator of the 3M NTF.
Criteria for Applicants
- STLHE member-in-good-standing
- Familiarity with the 3M selection process
- Strong facilitation and project management skills
- Experience with using Dropbox
- Suitable administrative experience
- Willingness to commit the time necessary to achieve the goals of the 3M NTF Program
- Ability to work on an ongoing basis with the STLHE Awards Chair, the STLHE Board of Directors, STLHE Administrative Centre, 3M Canada, and Maclean’s Magazine
- Work with the Council of 3M National Fellows for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Bilingualism is an asset.
Program Coordinator Supports
- Administrative support of the STLHE Administrative Centre
- Access to tools and applications subscribed to by STLHE (e.g., Zoom– online meetings; Dropbox – file management, other)
- Knowledge and expertise of previous program coordinator through a year of side-by-side mentorship
- Ongoing support of the current STLHE Awards Chair
- Budget support of the STLHE Treasurer
Term of Appointment
The term of each appointment is four years beginning January 2021 and ending November 2024. January 2021 to November 2021 will be spent shadowing the current Program Coordinator.
How to Apply
Submit a brief (maximum 5 pages) outlining why you are interested in this position and how your background meets the stated criteria and responsibilities specified above. Email your brief to the STLHE Executive Director, Michelle MacDonald: email@example.com by November 20th, 2020.
A Committee will review all applications.
Thank you for your interest in this position.